Sunday 24 August 2014

Marks and Spencer Salt and Pepper Kale Crisps

Kale is the new in vogue superfood in the spotlight at the moment. I do try and pick healthier snacks most of the time so thought these would be nice change. The ingredients list is very streamlined: just kale, cashew nuts, dried yeast, lemon zest, black pepper and sea salt.



As such, it's a very natural product, which I like. The whole bag is 118 calories so nothing to worry about on this front. Due to the natural ingredients, it's low sugar and because of the cashew butter coating, it's actually pretty high in protein with 24.2g per 100g and 6.1g per pack.

All in all, it sounds pretty good but it does have a frankly ridiculous price tag of £2. Yes, £2 for one little bag. Granted, it is a healthy snack and nuts are quite pricey but I can't help suspect M&S are taking advantage of a fad here.



I wasn't sure what to expect but opening the pretty paper bag revealed lots of large, crispy, crunchy pieces of what does look like dried kale. I was pleased at how in tact the pieces were as I suspected it would just be crumbs and shards.

Taste wise, it's a very unusual, slightly bitter, yeasty taste, which I really liked but would definitely polarise. The crunchy, brittle texture gives you the crisp like satisfaction and they have a lovely savoury, salty taste with a good kick of umami. The cashew coating also comes through in the aftertaste for a smooth, nutty finish.



I really enjoyed these but unless you know you'll like them, it's not worth the £2 risk. They are a really tasty treat that is actually really good for you - but then so is raw spinach, which is a lot more economical

Score: 7.5/10

2 comments:

  1. I keep wanting to try these but the price is so ridiculous I never bother. I'd rather buy a bag of Kale and make my own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would certainly be a lot cheaper. They were nice but I can't really see them selling well. Overseen bigger bags of kale crisps for better prices than this.

      Delete