Wednesday 24 September 2014

Linwood's Milled Flaxseed, Cocoa and Berries

As I've said before many times, I absolutely love breakfast. It's my favourite meal of the day and I'm always on the look out for new things to mix it up or to put a twist on my staples.



Health is another thing I look out for - it's always nice to get the day off to a good start even if your good intentions slip by the end of the day. So, this pack of flaxseed, cocoa and berries seemed a good idea. I often sprinkle flaxseed on my cereal or porridge as it's a great source of fibre and kicks your day off with some protein to keep you satisfied until lunch. It's also a great source of omega 3 and magnesium. It doesn't really have a flavour so it doesn't overwhelm your base cereal. However, I was interested to see how cocoa and berries added, if any, flavour.



I sprinkled it over mini shredded wheat and added some blackberries for even more fruity goodness and texture. Disappointingly, the cocoa didn't come through overly strongly. I think I was expecting a real chocolate hit in the style of chocolate Shreddies. However, it is a health product and it's low sugar so probably unrealistic to expect this.



Mostly, it's quite a subtle, if slightly bitter, flavour that didn't dominate over the shredded wheat. The freeze dried strawberries and blueberries add some texture and interest, plus further health benefits.

Whilst this isn't the most delectable thing ever, it is super nutritious and makes everyday breakfast a bit more varied and different so I would buy again.

Price: £5.99
Score: 7.5/10

2 comments:

  1. Looks very interesting! I never see this in my country :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's certainly very tasty. It's still quite new in the UK as well so it might come over one day

      Delete