Saturday 10 September 2016

Marks and Spencer Kentish Baby Baminella Pears

Somehow despite all the new M&S goodies on the shelves, I managed to bypass the sugary treats and ended up with fruit in my basket. Autumn means apples and pears and these little mini baby pears caught my eye. They're tiny little whole pears that look pretty similar to a normal pear but shrunken down to less than the size of an apricot. They're UK sourced and from Kent and whilst they looked a bit gimmicky, I thought I'd give them a go.

I'm not sure if this is just the batch I got (as I appreciate quality varies with fruit, it is natural after all) or because they're so small but these were really fairly solid and didn't feel ripe and lusciously melting like a good ripe pear should.

The other problem is because they are actually whole pears they have a core in the middle and actually by the time you've cut away the good fruit there is very little flesh for you to eat. This might be why mine didn't feel very soft or ripe, there's just not enough room for the mini pears to develop eating flesh.



I wasn't overly impressed with them and it's kind of hard to see why you would buy these over a normal pear other than the gimmick. They're not soft and juicy, there's not a lot of them to eat, a lot of them is core and you can't really just eat it, you need to cut the little flesh there is off. Bar maybe a talking point to decorate a cake or dessert, these just seem gimmicky to me. Give me a decent juicy normal pear any day rather than these rock hard mini golf balls.

Maybe I should have bought all the new M&S cakes instead...

Price: £2
Bought at: Marks and Spencer

Score: 3/10

No comments:

Post a Comment