Sunday 2 October 2016

New York Bakery Cheese Bagels Review

I absolutely bagels but it is so hard to find good ones. As a rule of thumb, pretty much any prepackaged bagel is a let down - just breadrolls with a bland taste and a hole in the middle. Generally in store bakery bagels are better with that chewy, sweet and slightly sour taste with scratch made ones ruling the roost.



New York Bakery is the best known brand of bagels and to be fair they are probably the best of the prepackaged bagels but the texture still isn't as good as in store bakery bagels as they lack that firm, dense crust. But I do enjoy their bagels so was pleased to see they've launched a new cheese bagel. It seems a pretty standard flavour but one I think would work well with bagel.





Taking it out the packet, it looked the part with a nice golden cheesy topping. I decided to toast it and fill it with more cheese (why not?) and marmite. I have to say it was nice but I was disappointed. Something about a cheese bagel sounded so delightfully savoury and satisfying. The reality is that it tastes good but the cheese just isn't pronounced enough. At only 4% cheese, it's actually pretty low in the list of ingredients and this comes through in the taste. My bagel was delicious but the flavour was lost to the filling and it could have been any bagel I was eating or even a panini roll for the difference in taste.



I decided in the interest of fairness to also have one for breakfast, simply toasted with butter. This time I could taste the cheese as there was nothing else to distract but it is still very faint. Having said that, the bagel toasts beautifully with a lovely crisp and chewy texture and I very much enjoyed this.



The thing is I've bought in store bakery cheese rolls which have little pockets of cheese studded throughout and the flavour is so much more pronounced here. They use more cheese and it shows. I would actually buy these bagels again but they do taste good and even though the cheese taste is lost to fillings, the overall flavour is good. But if you're looking for a really cheesy bagel, you're likely to be disappointed.

Bought at: Morrisons
Price: £1 (on offer)
Nutrition per bagel: 248 calories, 3.1g fat, 1.4g sat fat, 4.7g sugars, 0.61g salt

Score: 7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment