Sunday 29 January 2017

UGLY drinks review - Grapefruit and Pineapple

I don't really drink soft drinks at all bar occasionally using them as mixer for alcohol. I just don't really see the point of getting calories and sugar from something that isn't very satisfying when I could use them for food instead. I'll have a diet coke with vodka but wouldn't drink them daily as I don't really trust artificial sweeteners either.



So what do you do when you don't want sugar or artificial sweeteners? Have neither! I found this new brand of soft drink called UGLY which is sugar free but also no nasties or preservatives either - it's simply carbonated water with flavouring - no calories and no sugar. I think the pack looks good - really striking, cool and modern and definitely a brand that makes me smile.

Opening it up, you can smell the lovely fruity aroma of grapefruit and but on my first sip, my taste buds were little confused. You get the same refreshing flavour and fruitiness you get from something like Lilt or Sprite but there's no sweetness and it's less fizzy so initially you think it's a little flat and not as interesting as normal fizzy drinks but this is just our palates being so used to overly sweet fizzy drinks.

The more I drank, the more I liked it. It's subtle through natural flavours but you get the grapefruit and the pineapple with a nice mix of tang and a hint of sweetness. Iced cold, it's really refreshing with a lovely tropical taste and it's nice to have a soft drink that is natural and genuinely not bad for you.

It is pricey at around £1 for a single can so I would want to see a mulipack of this come out but nevertheless this is a lovely drink from a cool new start up and one I'll continue to buy.

Bought at:Holland and Barrett (£1.49)

No comments:

Post a Comment